Saturday, October 29, 2011

People watching

Today I feel happy- which is not out of the norm for me, but just the same. I am fully aware everyday of the blessings that I have. I will never be a victim, for any reason, there is too much in life to be happy about. There is so much good to be done and to receive!
Today I felt so happy to be able to help a family, I wont say with what -but it just felt good!Later as I was driving home I thought to myself about my son who is in scouts and before he could turn his pin over he had to do a "good turn." I thought about this concept on a community basis.
I love to observe people. No matter where I go I am actively involved and fascinated with my environment. I love to people watch, and it takes so little effort to look for the needs of others. Sometimes I wonder if people realize what kind of impact they have on peoples lives as they look for needs and fill them. Things as simple as smiling, listening, or helping someone in a pinch. Service does something amazing for the giver and the receiver.
Thinking back to years ago when I was in school, single mom, barely scraping it together, I remember the kindness of others. I remember the good friend who would be there at any time if I needed to talk. I remember the grocery bags of food left on my porch. I remember the kind words of encouragement from classmates as I tried my best to not only be one of the 50% who dropped out of the program, but to also be on the honor roll every quarter. I remember my church family never judging me, but lovingly wrapping their arms around me. I know that God loves me. He sends others to meet our needs. While he can calm our soul he uses us to lift eachother and to give eachother what we need. We can all fill a need. In others, and in ourselves by feeling lifted up by serving. I feel so blessed that God knows my needs and always takes good care of me.
Things have changed a lot since those days of school. Now I have an amazing career and am provided for well. I think a lot about what I can do to pass it on, we all need someone who cares.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Laura, thank you for sharing these inspiring and uplifting insights. I've been reading over and over through the talks of April's General Conference, and I believe the same quote from President Kimball was referenced in at least 3 different talks. I noticed this and thought to myself, "Wow. Heavenly Father must feel it is very important for us to remember this. Otherwise, why would He have His servants repeat it so frequently?" The quote is this one; I'm sure you have it memorized: "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other." Thank you for sharing, Laura. You have such a true perspective of life!